Hazlewood‌ - Is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees.


Steps to Secure Eligible Benefits



  • Veterans and dependents must not be in default on a loan guaranteed by the state of Texas.
  • Applicant must reside in Texas during the term the exemption will be used.


Steps to Enroll

  1. Apply for Admission to HCCComplete the HCC admission application

  2. Submit Required Documents: Provide either the Certificate of Eligibility (COE), Exhaust of Benefits Letter, or Denial of Benefits Letter.

  3. Apply for Hazlewood Exemption:
    • Complete the Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption Application (THAEA) each academic year.
    • Register in the Hazlewood online database.
    • Submit Relationship Documentation if applicable (for dependents).
    • Provide Veteran’s Disability Ratings Letter if applicable.
    • Include a copy of DD-214 (Only Member 2, 3, 4, 6, or 8) OR DD-1300.

  4. Submit Official Transcripts: Request official transcripts from all previous colleges attended, regardless of accreditation.
  5. Meet with an Academic Advisor.

  6. Submit VA Certification Request (VACR) Form: Obtain the form from http://www.hccs.edu/veterans. Submit the form every semester and for any enrollment changes (drop/swap/withdrawal).

  7. Enroll in HCC Courses: Enroll in courses listed on your approved degree plan.



Veteran & Military-Affiliated Student Success

Connect With Us

Please click here to view options to receive support.