What You Need to Know
Transferring from HCC to a four-year college or university is a popular path to a bachelor's degree. By earning college credits at HCC, you can build a solid academic foundation and save on the cost of college before you transfer.
Each semester Houston Community College hosts several Transfer Fairs throughout the system. These fairs enable the students to make lasting impressions with university faculty and staff who attend. We are excited to showcase the quality of what the state, nation, and even the world can offer our students academically.LEARN MORE ABOUT TRANSFER FAIRS
If You are Transferring to HCC
HCC accept unofficial transcripts, grade reports and/or TSI scores for initial advisement and placement. This information will determine if exemption from assessment or prerequisites is applicable. A transcript hold will be placed on your record until an official transcript is sent to the .
Please electronically send or mail official transcripts to:
Houston Community College
While unofficial transcripts may be accepted for initial registration, official transcripts must be received within 30 days of seeing an or enrolling in classes, whichever comes first. Official transcripts are needed for any of the following purposes:
|1. Complete an associate degree or higher from an accredited institution.
2. Complete a college-level English and a college-level math.
3. Passing ACT/SAT/TAKS scores.
TSI Status: Students transferring to HCCS must provide an official transcript so that their TSI status can be determined.
|Acceptance of transfer work
Students seeking acceptance of transfer credit toward a degree or certificate should send an official transcript to the Office of Student Records at the time their Educational Plan is filed.
|Transfer students who have college level work (including English and Math) may not need testing for TSI or for prerequisite purposes. Course prerequisites are met through previous coursework or appropriate testing scores.
Contact at a campus near you for testing times
|Students who have taken an approved TSI test must submit an official copy of their scores to the Office of Student Records, if those scores do not appear on an official transcript.
|See an for advising, selection of courses, and registration information, so that you can be set up for online registration.
If You are Transferring from HCC
|Meet with an academic advisor.
|Meet with an at your community college campus to discuss your academic goals, plans, and questions. Consider completing an associates degree before transferring. Some universities give preferential treatment in admission decisions, if a student transfers after completing his/her associates degree.
|If you need to transfer to another institution
If you need to transfer to another institution before the completion of your HCCS associate degree, you may do so. You may also be able to “transfer back” credits that were completed from another institution in order to fulfill your associate degree requirements.
|Obtain a transfer plan from your HCC Advisor
|A transfer plan lists the university-required courses which can be taken at HCCS toward your university bachelor degree major. If you are undecided about your choice of university or your choice of major, see a HCCS career counselor for more help.
|Apply for university admission and financial aid early before the university’s deadlines.
Most universities have application fees. An admission application is not considered complete until all official documents are in and all fees are paid. (Note: applying early for financial aid can have a big impact on the aid you receive.) If housing is needed, application must also be made to the university’s Housing Office.
|All academic transcripts and TSI scores/status must be sent to your university of choice by the university’s admission deadline.
|To have your HCCS transcript sent to your university, call the HCCS Office of Student Records. Transcripts can be sent electronically or by mail. (Note: Universities require an academic transcript from every institution attended. HCCS cannot send copies of transcripts from other schools. We can only send an academic transcript of HCCS course work.)
Important: IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT TRANSCRIPTS BE SENT ELECTRONICALLY. Most colleges in Texas trade electronically and prefer students send their records via this method instead of hand delivering a copy to the school. Electronic transcripts will be processed more quickly by our institution and at the receiving institution.
While selecting a university for transfer is not purely a matter of finances, for many HCCS students and their families, cost is the final determining factor in choosing a school. The latest research also shows that it is the perceived cost of attending a particular university that is hindering many students from applying for admission, rather than the actual cost of attendance. With many financial aid opportunities available (in spite of federal and state cutbacks), students are often able to attend their first choices for their degree programs.
Recruiters are encouraging students to ask the financial aid offices at their chosen universities to do a financial aid eligibility estimate. While not a guarantee of a student’s funding, the estimate is a means by which a student may determine potential financial aid eligibility. The estimates are dependent upon the completeness and the accuracy of the information which students provide. Financial aid estimates are not well-publicized and many universities do not wish to do the estimate unless a student has applied for admission to that school. However, financial aid offices are doing the estimates upon request, usually during the fall semester only. It can be the basis of deciding whether a student can afford the school or not.
In addition, HCCS students are in demand at our universities. Several of our transfer universities report that HCCS students transferring with an associate degree have performed at a 3.1 GPA level after transfer. To encourage transfer, the universities in this publication have offered various scholarship opportunities. These scholarships are only available for transfer students, who have achieved approximately 50 transferable semester hours or more. Some schools give preference to those students who have completed an associate degree before transfer. Many awards are based on academic performance, demonstrated leadership skills, and community and college activities. Phone numbers and/or addresses are enclosed for further inquiries, deadlines, and applications.
A few Scholarships that might interest you:
- Baylor University
- Houston Christian University
- Our Lady of the Lake University
- Prairie View A & M University
- Sam Houston State University
- Stephen F Austin State University
- Texas A & M University College Station
- Texas A & M University Commerce
- Texas Southern University
- Texas State University
- Texas Tech University
- Texas Tech University-Health Science
- University of Houston – Central Scholarship
- University of Houston – Clear Lake
- University of Houston – Downtown
- University of Houston – Victoria
- University of Houston – Sugar Land
- University of the Incarnate Word
- University of North Texas
- University of St. Thomas
- University of Texas Arlington
- University of Texas Austin
- University of Texas Dallas
- University of Texas Health Science Center – Houston
- University of Texas Medical Branch – Galveston
- University of Texas San Antonio
University Transfer Plans (Texas)
Texas Public Universities. An articulation agreement is a set of transfer plans between two institutions facilitating accurate and efficient transfer between institutions. The transfer plan is a determination by both the community college and the university in which courses taken within a plan will count directly toward a student’s major at the university. These plans are also called 2+2 agreements, that is, the first two years taken at the community college and the last two years taken at the university. HCCS students can expect a “seamless” transfer and maximize the transferability of coursework by following the university's transfer plan.
NOTE: An established transfer plan guarantees the transfer of courses toward a particular major at the transfer institution of choice. However, the student should check with the university to insure that they have the most recent update.
Transfer Plans by Institution
- Baylor University »
- Midwestern State University
- Houston Christian University »
- Lamar University »
- North American University »
- Prairie View A&M University »
- Sam Houston State University »
- St. Edward's University »
- Stephen F. Austin State University »
- Texas A&M University – College Station »
- Texas A&M University - Commerce »
- Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi
- Texas A&M University - Texarkana »
- Texas Chiropractic College »
- Texas Lutheran University
- Texas Southern University »
- Texas State University-San Marcos »
- Texas Tech University »
- Texas Woman’s University »
- University of Dallas
- University of Houston »
- University of Houston – Clear Lake »
- University of Houston – Downtown »
- University of Houston – Victoria »
- University of Houston – Sugar Land »
- University of North Texas »
- University of St. Thomas »
- University of Texas – Arlington »
- University of Texas – Austin »
- University of Texas – Dallas »
- University of Texas Health Science Center – Houston »
- University of Texas Medical Branch – Galveston »
- University of Texas – San Antonio »
- University of Texas – Tyler »
- Western Governors University
Specialty Pathway Programs
Houston Community College has created various Program 2 Program (P2P) transfer pathways with several of our university partners.
- HCC pathway to Lamar University - BS in Industrial Technology
- HCC pathway to SFA - BS in Interior Design
- Texas A&M University Engineering Academy
- University of Houston Engineering Academy
- HCC pathway to UHD - Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences (BAAS)
- HCC pathway to UHV - Katy Campus
- Texas Southern University
- University of Texas-Tyler Engineering
Houston Guided Pathways (Houston GPS) - Coming Soon
Houston GPS will:
- Houston GPS - https://higheredtransfer.org/degree-mapping/
- Provide a timely, structured, and seamless pathway for students transferring from Gulf --Coast-Houston area community colleges to Houston area universities.
- Boost post-secondary attainment, and increase completion and successful transfer rates in the Houston region.
- Build a culture of timely graduation that will save everyone time and money, most importantly our students.
- Art, Humanities, Communications, and Architecture
- Engineering and Technology
- Math, Science, and Health Sciences
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
- University of Houston
- University of Houston-Clear Lake
- University of Houston-Downtown
- University of Houston-Victoria
- Prairie View A&M University
- Texas Southern University
More information: https://uh.edu/provost/university/houstongps/
University Transfer Plans (Out-of-State)
- American InterContinental University
- Arizona State University
- Colorado State University Global
- Franklin University
- Grand Canyon University
- Herzing University
- LIM College
- Loyola University of New Orleans
- Missouri Southern State University
- Purdue University Global
- Southern New Hampshire University
- Universidad de las Americas (Mexico)
- University of Phoenix