Mental Health Crisis
Crisis or Mental Health Emergency
If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, please call 9-1-1 for immediate assistance.
If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 988, 1-800-273-8255, Text “TALK” to 741741, WhatsApp, or Chat @ Crisistextline.org.
Options for Deaf and Hard of Hearing 1-800-799-4889.
Texas Suicide Prevention-Know the Signs/Save a Life
Support text line for students of color. Text STEVE to 741741
Local Crisis Resources
- Harris Center for Mental Health (713-970-7000 Crisis 24-hour Hotline)
- The Harris Center for Mental Health and IDD - Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program (CPEP)
1-866-970-4770 Prompt and high-quality assessments, and efficient stabilization services for individuals experiencing a mental health crisis.
- Houston Area Women’s Center (HAWC) Domestic Violence Hotline: Toll-Free: 1-800-256-0551; Sexual Assault Hotline: Toll-Free: 1-800-256-0661 Ending domestic and sexual violence for all.
- Memorial Mental Health-Urgent Psychiatric Care-713-338-6422
- Nearest Mental Health Authority – Psychiatric Emergency Neuropsychiatric Center (NPC)
- Ben Taub Psychiatric Emergency
- Disaster Distress Helpline (1-800-985-5990 24/7 or Text "TalkWithUS" to 66746)
- Crisis Intervention of Houston (832-416-1177 24/7)
- The Veterans Crisis Line supports Veterans in crisis and their families and friends through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text. Veterans and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, or send a text message to 838255 to receive confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Trans Lifeline 1-877-565-8860, is a 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to the well-being of transgender people. We run a hotline staffed by transgender people for transgender people. Trans Lifeline volunteers are ready to respond to whatever support needs members of our community might have.
To Report Threatening Behavior or Report a Crime
Additionally, HCC Counselors encourage students who witness a crime or are a victim of a crime to contact HCC police at 713-718-8888. If students are off-campus and need immediate police assistance, they should dial 911.
Human/Sex Trafficking Help
National Human Trafficking Hotline 1-888-373-7888
- SMS: 233733 (Text "HELP" or "INFO")
- Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
- Languages: English, Spanish and 200 more languages
- White House Proclamation 2022
The information provided by external resources - including third-party websites - is designed to provide helpful information on topics and community resources. HCC does not endorse or accept responsibility for the content, use, or availability of resources provided by external websites or agencies. HCC makes no representations as to the eligibility of any particular student to receive any benefit or the effects – such as those impacting immigration status – that accepting a resource may have on a student. Students in populations that may have specific additional needs are encouraged to seek advice from a relevant professional or reputable resources, such as immigration counsel or a qualified website.