Help for Financial Emergencies and Disaster Recovery
We get that while you're working hard to manage bills, work, family and school — "life" can shift your focus away from class. Whatever the case may be, we have resources to help you not let a financial emergency take your attention away from school. Current students facing financial emergencies during the semester due to COVID-19 or other reasons are encouraged to apply for available emergency aid based on need eligibility requirements.
Below you will find details, eligibility requirements and application process for aid available to help with financial emergencies or disaster recovery. If you are approved to receive emergency aid funds, you will not have to pay those funds back. For questions, please email email@example.com.
Emergency Aid Resources
SWOOP TO THE RESCUE | Funding Available for Tech Needs
SWOOP to the Rescue Emergency grant is for financial aid, non-financial aid, and international students. Please note that international students are only eligible to receive TECH assistance with SWOOP to the Rescue funds. SWOOP provides one-time grants to help students with urgent requests related to issues such as healthcare, childcare, housing, and transportation.
All enrolled students can also apply for SWOOP to the Rescue to cover technology needs resulting from the disruption of campus operations due to the COVID-19 crisis.
To be eligible for this emergency aid students must be:
- Enrolled in 6 credit hours
- Degree-seeking at HCC and must not be attending another institution
- Meeting SAP requirements
- Facing an emergency that can be supported through documentation
SWOOP Award Process
- Student submits application. Please note that supporting documentation is required for this award
- Financial Aid will review applications and select recipients
- Awards can range from $100 to $1,000 per student. If selected, a one-time-only award will be added to the FA award screen
- Funds will be refunded if the student’s billing account is paid, unpaid accounts – the amount will be applied to balance due
- Students are asked to set up a BankMobile Refund preference
CARES Act (HEERF II) Second Round Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund | Deadline Passed
The online form to request assistance from the HEERF II CARES Act Funds is for eligible students and funding is distributed to eligible students who request the funds or until funds are no longer available. This application has closed for Spring 2021, keep an eye on this webpage for updates on future HEERF funding opportunities.
Houston Community College understands that many of our students continue to experience expenses and emergency assistance as a result of the COVID-19 and other financial constraints. HCC received Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds for student expenses to provide in the form of emergency grants, which will be used to advance our commitment to helping our students that continue to be affected by the current economic crisis.
These emergency aid grants will be available to students who meet the eligibility requirements below.
Funds are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Funding is not guaranteed and will be distributed until all funding is spent.
Please be advised:
- The online form will be available beginning March 10, 2021. Please see instructions on how to request HEERF II funds below.
- Deadline to complete the online form is March 26, 2021.
- Funds will be distributed the week of April 2, 2021.
- Funding will be applied directly to the students billing account.
- A US Citizen or Eligible non-Citizen
- Education has been affected by the COVID-19 national crisis
How to Request Federal CARES Act Emergency Grant Funds:
Steps to request HEERF II emergency grant funds:
- Log into your HCC MyEagle Student Sign-In account
- Click on the Eagle Resources Tile – Bottom of Screen
- Click on the Federal Emergency Cash Grant – Left Side of Screen
- Complete the form and submit
Funds are distributed to students via HCC’s refund process.
Process for setting up your refund preference (if not already done):
- Log into your HCC MyEagle Student Sign-In account.
- Go to the Financial Account Tile.
- Select “Choose a Refund Option” on left side of screen.
- Follow the instructions.
IMPORTANT: For students who don’t have an existing refund preference through BankMobile, please wait 24-48 hours after requesting emergency grant funds for the refund preference option to become available. Refunds will be delayed for students who not do not complete this requirement.
Financial Aid Adjustment for Students Experiencing Unemployment
FOR FINANCIAL AID STUDENTS
If you completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using taxed or untaxed income that has changed due to the COVID-19 national crisis, you may be eligible for an adjustment to your 2019-2020, 2020-2021, and/or 2021-2022 FAFSA income data.
- If you, or any of your family members listed on the FAFSA, are receiving unemployment benefits, please complete our Special Circumstances Form located on our online forms page.
- If you experience a loss of employment but do not qualify for unemployment benefits, please complete our Special Circumstances Form located on our online forms page.