Help for Financial Emergencies and Disaster Recovery
We get that while you're working hard to manage bills, work, family and school — "life" can shift your focus away from class. Whatever the case may be, we have resources to help you not let a financial emergency take your attention away from school. Current students facing financial emergencies during the semester due to COVID-19 or other reasons are encouraged to apply for available emergency aid based on need eligibility requirements.
Below you will find details, eligibility requirements and application process for aid available to help with financial emergencies or disaster recovery. If you are approved to receive emergency aid funds, you will not have to pay those funds back. For questions, please email email@example.com.
Emergency Aid Resources
SWOOP to the Rescue | Deadline April 2, 2021
SWOOP to the Rescue Emergency grant is for financial aid, non-financial aid, and international students. SWOOP provides one-time grants to help students with urgent requests related to issues such as healthcare, childcare, housing, and transportation.
All enrolled students can also apply for SWOOP to the Rescue to cover technology needs resulting from the disruption of campus operations due to the COVID-19 crisis.
To be eligible for this emergency aid students must be:
- Enrolled in 6 credit hours
- Degree-seeking at HCC and must not be attending another institution
- Meeting SAP requirements
- Facing an emergency that can be supported through documentation
Beginning February 1, 2021, students can apply here. The deadline for spring 2021 SWOOP to the Rescue Applications is Friday, April 2, 2021.
SWOOP Award Process
- Student submits application. Please note that supporting documentation is required for this award
- Financial Aid will review applications and select recipients
- Awards can range from $100 to $1,000 per student. If selected, a one-time only award will be added to the FA award screen
- Funds will be refunded if the student’s billing account is paid, unpaid accounts – amount will be applied to balance due
- Students are asked to set up a BankMobile Refund preference
CARES Act (HEERF II) Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund | CLOSED
Applications for the first round of HEERF II funding are now closed. Financial Aid is working on getting awards posted to student accounts for those who completed the online form. The second round of HEERF II funding will be available in March 2021, keep an eye on this webpage for updates.
HCC Financial Aid understands that many of our students continue to face unforeseen expenses due to the disruption the COVID-19 has caused to on-campus operations. HCC has received Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds that will be distributed to students who have been affected by COVID-19. These emergency aid grants will be available to students who meet the eligibility requirements below.
The online form to request assistance from the CARES Act Funds will open to eligible students in March 2021 and funding will be distributed to eligible students who request the funds by the deadline or until funds are no longer available. Funds are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Funding is not guaranteed and will be distributed until all funding is spent.
Please be advised:
- The online form will be available beginning today, February 1, 2021. Please see instructions on how to request HEERF II funds below.
- Deadline to complete the online form is Saturday, February 20, 2021.
- Funds will be distributed the week of February 26th, 2021.
- Funding will be applied directly to the students billing account.
- Enrolled in 6 or more credits
- A US Citizen or Eligible non-Citizen
- Education has been affected by the COVID-19 national crisis
How to Request Federal CARES Act Emergency Grant Funds:
Steps to request HEERF II emergency grant funds:
- Log into your HCC MyEagle Student Sign-In account
- Click on the Eagle Resources Tile – Bottom of Screen
- Click on the Federal Emergency Cash Grant – Left Side of Screen
- Complete the form and submit
Funds will be distributed to students via HCC’s refund process during the week of February 26, 2021.
Process for setting up your refund preference (if not already done):
- Log into your HCC MyEagle Student Sign-In account.
- Go to the Financial Account Tile.
- Select “Choose a Refund Option” on left side of screen.
- Follow the instructions.
IMPORTANT: For students who don’t have an existing refund preference through BankMobile, please wait 24-48 hours after requesting emergency grant funds for the refund preference option to become available. Refunds will be delayed for students who not do not complete this requirement.
Financial Aid Adjustment for Students Experiencing Unemployment
FOR FINANCIAL AID STUDENTS
If you completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using taxed or untaxed income that has changed due to the COVID-19 national crisis, you may be eligible for an adjustment to your 2019-2020, 2020-2021, and/or 2021-2022 FAFSA income data.
- If you, or any of your family members listed on the FAFSA, are receiving unemployment benefits, please complete our Special Circumstances Form located on our online forms page.
- If you experience a loss of employment but do not qualify for unemployment benefits, please complete our Special Circumstances Form located on our online forms page.