Disbursement and Refund Process
Disbursement and Refund Process
The Financial Aid Office will continue to disburse and refund financial aid funds remotely. Please know we will process funds as quickly as possible and will communicate updates. You can view the most up-to-date disbursement and refund schedule below.
Disbursement and Refund Timeline
FALL 2020 | Grants and Scholarships
AUTHORIZED AND ANTICIPATED AID FOR BOOKSTORE
The authorization of financial aid funds for the FALL 2020 semester will run on Friday, August 14, 2020. The authorized funds will show as anticipated aid which will be used to cover tuition, books, and fees. The anticipated status will prevent the student from being dropped from their classes (as long as it covers the total amount of tuition/fees). Students will be able to use anticipated financial aid to purchase books/supplies at the bookstore from Friday, August 14th until Friday, December 4th, 2020.
3 THINGS THAT WILL CHANGE YOUR DISBURSEMENT/REFUND DATE
- Multiple Start Dates: If your schedule consists of courses with multiple start dates, you have to use the latest start date to determine your refund date. For example, if you are taking two regular term classes and one second start class, you would look at the chart below and use the refund date for the second start class.
- Schedule Change: If your schedule changes and you enroll in classes with different start dates, your scheduled disbursement week will change.
- Withdrawals: Withdrawing from classes will have an impact on the scheduled disbursement. If you withdraw from class(es), all aid will be held for review and eligibility may need to be recalculated. Contact your campus financial aid office for those details.
DISBURSEMENT AND REFUND GROUPS
We will process refunds in four groups based on the Official Date of Enrollment (OE Date). Please refer to the list below to find your class start date and expected refund date. Disbursement and refunds are based on your latest class start date.
Group 1: Disbursement will run on September 22nd and refunds will process September 24th.
If your courses are listed below, your refund will process on September 24th.
- Coleman 6 WK (C6A) - Classes begin August 17 - OE Date August 20
- Coleman 6 WK (C16) - Classes begin August 17 - OE Date August 31
- First 5 WK (F4A) - Classes begin August 24 - OE Date August 26
- First 8 WK (F8A) - Classes begin August 24 - OE Date August 31
- Regular Term (RT) - Classes begin August 24 - OE Date September 8
Group 2: Disbursement will run on October 20th and refunds will process October 22nd.
If your courses are listed below, your refund will process on October 22nd.
- Second 4 WK (F4B) - Classes begin September 21 - OE Date September 23
- Second Start (SS) - Classes begin September 21 - OE Date September 30
- Coleman Second 6 WK (C6B) - Classes begin September 28 - OE Date October 1
- Coleman 10 WK (C10) - Classes begin September 28 - OE Date October 5
Group 3: Disbursement will run on November 10th and refunds will process November 12th.
If your courses are listed below, your refund will process on November 12th.
- Third 4 WK (F4C) - Classes begin October 19 - OE Date October 21
- Second 8 WK (F8B) - Classes begin October 19 - OE Date October 26
Group 4: Disbursement will run on December 1st and refunds will process December 3rd.
If your courses are listed below, your refund will process on December 3rd.
- Coleman Third 5 WK (C5C) - Classes begin November 9 - OE Date November 12
- Fourth 4 WK (F4D) - Classes begin November 16 - OE Date November 18
Students will receive their loan disbursement 30 calendar days after attendance is verified for 6 or more credits.
Registering for classes with different start dates will affect how long it takes to verify attendance for 6-credit-hour requirement. For example, if you are taking 6 credit hours with one regular term class and one second start class, your loans will not disburse until attendance is verified for the second start class.
Loan requirements must be completed before loans can disburse and refund.
- Accept the loan by clicking here.
- Be enrolled and attending 6 or more credit hours.
- Complete the online Entrance Loan Counseling by clicking here.
- Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) by clicking here.
4 Things That Affect Disbursement Schedule
- SCHEDULE CHANGE: If your schedule changes and you enroll in later start classes, your scheduled disbursement week will change. Contact your campus financial aid office for those details.
- WITHDRAWALS: Withdrawing from classes will have an impact on the scheduled disbursement. If you withdraw from class(es), all aid will be held for review and eligibility may need to be recalculated. Contact your campus financial aid office for those details.
- LOAN REQUIREMENTS: To receive a disbursement for loans, you must meet the requirements listed above.
- ONE-SEMESTER LOANS: If your loan is for one semester only, you will receive two payments within that semester. Contact your campus financial aid office for those details.
Difference Between Disbursement and Refunds
Disbursement means that all eligible financial aid funds will be posted to your account as a payment for classes.
Once a disbursement of your financial aid is posted as payment for your classes, any aid leftover will be refunded to you within 48 – 72 hours (2-3 business days).
Choose Your Refund Option
hccs.edu >MyEagle Student Sign-in
Once logged in, find the Student Center Page and click the Choose A Refund Option link to make your Refund Preference Selection.
IT’S THAT EASY!
Overview of Aid Process Timeline
Financial Aid awarded
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) completed
- All required paperwork provided
- Eligibility requirements met
- Pell grants are awarded at full-time enrollment status until actual enrollment is confirmed
- Student loans are offered and are either accepted or declined by the student
- Awards are available online to view through myHCCS
Charges generated on student billing account
- Register for classes
- Anticipated aid appears on student account 20-30 days prior to the start of a semester
Bookstore credits Available
- GRANTS: 10 days prior to the start of a semester
- LOANS: After first day of classes
- Purchases charged on billing account
- 15 days after the start of a semester or session
- Faculty return enrollment rosters
Late-start Sessions reviewed Aid Disbursed
- Verify eligibility requirements
- Aid is adjusted to actual enrollment when student changes schedule
- Aid is delayed for late start classes
- Pell and State Grants disbursed three weeks after the start of a semester or late-start session Loans require actual attendance in 6 or more credits and completion of online MPN and Entrance Counseling Loan disbursed 30 days after the start of a semester or late-start session
- Billed charges paid by disbursed aid
- Excess cash is released to BankMobile within 14 days of disbursement. BankMobile will email notification when refund has been disbursed to your selected refund preference.
- Refer to the Academic Calendar for semester and session start and end dates
Note: The HCC financial aid department strives to make the information on this website as timely and accurate as possible; the department makes no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the content, and expressly disclaims liability for errors and omissions.
Examples of How Aid Processes
STUDENT EXAMPLE 1
- Completed FAFSA and Aid Paperwork on May 1, 2013
- Awarded on May 15, 2013 as full-time (not yet registered) – Pell = $1500
- Accepted student loan and completed online loan processes – Loans = $3500 (net after origination fee - $3460)
- Registered for 2 courses (6 credits) on June 30, 2013 for Fall semester beginning August 26, 2013
- Charges for 6 credits generated - $1000
- Aid authorized on student account August 1, 2013 - $5960
- Bookstore credit available August 16, 2013 - $500
- Books charged against aid - $250
- Classes begin August 26, 2013
- Attendance confirmed September 16, 2013 for all 6 credits
- Pell disbursed September 17, 2013 - $1500
- Charges paid - $1250
- Eligibility for refund confirmed on September 18, 2013 - $250
- Refund generation process completed on September 20, 2013
- Refund records transmitted to BankMobile on September 23, 2013
- BankMobile approves refund for selected refund preference on September 24, 2013
- Student loan disbursed on September 26, 2013
- Eligibility for refund confirmed on September 27, 2013 - $3460
- Refund generation process completed on September 30, 2013
- Refund records transmitted to BankMobile on October 1, 2013
- BankMobile approves refund to selected refund preference on October 2, 2013
STUDENT EXAMPLE 2
- Completed FAFSA and Aid Paperwork on October 15, 2013
- Awarded on November 20, 2013 as half-time (registered 6 credits) – Student is not Pell Eligible
- Accepted student loans and completed online loan processes – Loans = $3500 (net of $3460)
- Charges for 6 credits generated - $1000
- Aid authorized on student account December 1, 2014 - $3460
- No Bookstore credit available – No Pell Eligibility
- Classes begin January 13, 2014 and March 17, 2014
- Attendance confirmed January 20, 2014 for 3 credits - remaining 3 credits in late-start
- Attendance confirmed March 27, 2014 for the late-start class
- Student loan disbursed on April 17, 2014 · Charges paid - $1000
- Eligibility for refund confirmed on April 18, 2014 - $2460
- Refund generation process completed on April 21, 2014
- Refund records transmitted to BankMobile on April 22, 2014
- BankMobile approves refund on Eagle Card or Transmits to Bank via EFT on April 23, 2014