Alternative Teacher Certification Program
The Alternative Teacher Certification Program (ATCP) at Houston Community College is a state-approved comprehensive educator preparation program (or EPP) that trains individuals for Texas standard certification in elementary and secondary education.
An EPP provides the training necessary for individuals without experience in a college-level teacher training program or with a major in another field, such as biology or art, to obtain the skills and knowledge necessary to be a classroom teacher.
The following items to become a certified classroom teacher in Texas:
- Obtain or possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Complete an approved Educator Preparation Program (EPP)
- Register, take and pass required state certification exams for the certificate sought
- Apply for state certification upon the EPP’s recommendation (Fingerprinting is required as part of a criminal background check)
- Obtain a Texas Classroom Teacher Standard Certificate awarded through TEA
Once certified, Texas Standard Certificates are renewable every five years, provided you have completed required continuing professional education (CPE) credits.
Don’t have a Bachelor’s degree? See Teacher Education for Associate of Arts in Teaching.
Have a Bachelor’s degree? Apply directly to the Alternative Teacher Certification Program.
Already a Certified Classroom Teacher? See Out-of-State Certified Educators, Out-of-Country Certified Educators, Renewing a Standard Certificate, or Additional Certification by Exam.
The Alternative Teacher Certification Program (ATCP) at HCC is a state-approved comprehensive educator preparation program (EPP) that trains individuals for Texas standard certification in elementary and secondary education.
Online resourcesNew Student Orientation Virtual Information Session
The Program offers a route to certification that allows you to teach while completing the requirements.
In-Person or Online Training
- ACP 1000 Cognitive Development, Literacy Strategies & SPED 48 hrs
- ACP 2000 Pedagogy for Curriculum & Instruction 48 hrs
- ACP 3000 Managing Culturally Diverse Classrooms 48 hrs
- ACP 4000 Practices in Educational Environment 48 hrs
- ACP 0000 Specific Content Preparation 43 hrs
- ACP 0000 Field-Based Experience 30 hrs
- ACP 0000 Pedagogy & Professional Responsibilities Preparation 42 hrs
- ACP 1009 Science of Reading (or Foundations of Reading) 42 hrs
(as required or recommended for certification)
Pre-Internship & Testing Requirements (Co-requisite to In-Person Training)
- Field-Based Experience 30 hrs
- Test Preparation (6 hrs per exam) 6 hrs
Internship (under a Probationary Certificate)
- Internship I One Semester
- Internship II One Semester
Internships must be completed within two consecutive semesters whether fall-spring or spring-fall
- Texas Education Agency(TEA)/State Board for Educator Certification(SBEC)
- Texas Educator's Code of Ethics (Texas Administrative Code)
- TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills)
- THECB (Rexas Higher Education Coordinating Board)
- TExES (Texas Examinations of Educator Standards)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- If a student is not satisfied with the complaint process or outcome, the student may file a complaint against the program with the Texas Education Agency. The official Texas Education Agency complaint process can be found http://tea.texas.gov/About_TEA/Contact_Us/Complaints/
Upon enrollment (as of 8/31/2020)
ACP Payment Plan available per semester for 18 weeks (5 payments) of training
*A $30 installment fee is included in first payment.
Varies according to certification area
$4,435 + books
TEA Technology Fee
Other fees associated with completing the requirements for Teacher Certification by TEA (such as exams, background checks, finger printing, etc.) are outside of Program costs or expenses and are managed by other organizations. HCC ATCP keeps an updated requirements list with current costs and provides that to students. However, HCC cannot guarantee costs have not been changed recently by other organizations.
The Alternative Teacher Certification Program will host an information session to recruit New potential candidates to enroll in our upcoming enrollment set for Winter/Spring 2021 and Summer 2021. Application Deadline for Winter/Spring is TBA, 2020. The application deadline for Summer is TBA, 2021. Interested candidates must have a 2.5 GPA and a Bachelors's degree from an accredited college or university. We would like to enroll at least 30 new students.
- TBA, 5:30-6:30 pm (SJAC Rm. TBA)
- TBA, 5:30-6:30 pm (SJAC Rm. TBA