The department of Workforce Instruction supports the system-wide efforts of HCC’s Centers of Excellence and Continuing Education programming.
Carl D. Perkins Grant Information
HCC participates in the annual federal Carl D. Perkins Grant program that is managed at the state level by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. As part of the grant program, HCC must meet annual benchmarks established by federal and state guidelines which determine an annual potential allotment of grant funding. Additional information can be found below:
Sheryl George-Jones, Program Director
Labor Market Information Tools
The following data tools and resources should be utilized by instructional leaders and faculty to determine program vitality within the region:
- Economic Model Specialists, International (EMSI): Specific labor market data tool providing job openings, postings, growth, and definitions.
- Gulf Coast Workforce Board Regional Data: Collected labor market data for the gulf coast region provided through the Texas Workforce Commission.
- High Skill, High Growth Occupations
- O*NET Occupational Handbook: Catalog of Occupational Information for each occupational or group of occupations.
- Kinder Institute for Urban Research Houston Area Study, Stephen Klineberg, Rice University: Landmark survey of Houston regarding economy, labor market, and society.
- Texas Workforce Commission Labor Market Information: Large warehouse site of LMI Resources
- Greater Houston Partnership Employment Forecast: Annual analysis of Employment provided by the region’s chamber of commerce.
- Greater Houston Partnership Monthly Outlook: A quick glance at trends each month.
- UpSkill Houston: Regional Initiative from the Greater Houston Partnership in support of the labor market.
Career Planning Tools
- HCC Career Coach: HCC’s career exploration portal.
- Texas Reality Check: An assessment that looks at lifestyle and earnings and then matches them to careers.
- Career One Stop: A set of career exploration assessments.
- PetroChemWorks: Resources on Occupations in the Petrochemical sector.
- Workforce Solutions Career Exploration Resources: Local workforce board resources for career exploration and interest based on regional job demand.
- Program Vitality Report
- 2019-2020 (Coming Soon)
- 2018-2019 (Access through Tableau)
- THECB Automated Student and Adult Learner Follow-Up System: The Automated Student and Adult Learner Follow-Up System (ASALFS) tracks graduates, completers and non-returners from an academic year for employment and/or additional education. The exit cohort reports provide additional information for Texas public 2-year and 4-year institutions. Exit cohort reports are also available for career schools and colleges and private and out-of-state public postsecondary institutions operating in Texas under a Certificate of Authority or a Certificate of Authorization.
- IPEDS Data: A system of interrelated surveys conducted annually by the U.S. Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). IPEDS gathers information from every college, university, and technical and vocational institution that participates in the federal student financial aid programs.
Business Partner Resources
- Advisory Committee Handbook (June 2018)
- Texas Society of Association Executives: Comprehensive list of industry associations to begin mining for partners.
- Greater Houston Partnership: Main site for regional chamber of commerce. HCC is an active member.
- Workforce Solutions Employer Services: Employer arm of the Gulf Coast Workforce Board connecting business with talent.
- Looking for business partners? Fill out this form
Work-Based Learning Resources
- External Learning Experiences Guidelines (Spring 2020)
- Career Hub Administrator Site: Beginning 2020-2021, ELE will be automated through Career Hub.
- Prior Learning Assessment (PLA): Site that houses resources for students interested in bringing work-based learning and experience to HCC for credit.