HI TECH Health IT Program
NO LONGER ACCEPTING STUDENTS UNDER THE HITECH GRANT
INTERESTED STUDENTS MAY STILL SUBMIT APPLICATIONS
WEBSITE WILL BE UPDATED WITH NEW INFORMATION WHEN AVAILABLE
PLEASE CHECK BACK REGULARLY
Complete applications based on admissions criteria (PLEASE FILL OUT APPLICATION IN ITS ENTIRETY TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION).
Applications must be submitted by March 18th.
Orientations have been scheduled for Monday, February 11th and March 18th, 2013
We will only offer the following certificates:
· Implementation Support Specialist
· Technical Software Support Staff
By 2015 everyone will be required to have electronic health record (EHR). The Bureau of Labor Statistics, Department of Education, and independent studies indicate a shortfall over the next five years of approximately 50,000 qualified health IT workers required to meet the needs of hospitals and physicians as they move to adopt electronic health care systems.
A health IT professional is someone who is qualified to support the adoption and implementation of Electronic Health Records (EHRs), information exchange across health care providers and public health authorities, and the redesign of workflows within health care settings to gain the quality and efficiency benefits of EHRs.
HCC - Coleman College for Health Sciences offers an intensive online CE program training six (6) various Health IT workforce roles and is designed for self motivated experienced Health Care and IT professionals that can be completed in less than six (6) months.
Upon completion of the program, graduates are expected to sit for the national competency exam developed by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Graduates will find employment with health care institutions, physician offices, and vendors of EHRs.
Student will focus on one of the following workforce roles:
• Practice workflow and information management redesign specialist
• Clinician/practitioner Consultant
• Implementation Support Specialist
• Implementation Manager
• Technical/Software Support Staff
General Admissions Requirements
• Qualified applicants must meet pre-assessment criteria (Take the Distance Education Readiness assessments) and have background experience in IT or Health Care with basic computer skills.
• Field work site will require applicant to pass a criminal background, immunizations, drug test and medical exam.
• Applicant must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Admission Procedures (Admission Criteria)
• Submit application below including transcript, resume and other supporting documents.
• Criminal Background, Immunizations, Drug Test and Medical Exam, required by fieldwork site.
• Eligible to work in the U.S.
Orientation will be held every 2nd Monday of the month at 5:30 p.m. in the 1st floor auditorium. For more information, please click here.
Please contact us at HITECH@hccs.edu if you would like additional information.
If there are additional supporting documents that you would like to submit that you are unable to at this time you may attach them to an email and send to HITECH@hccs.edu.
This program does not lead to an AAS in Health Information Technology and courses are non-transferable. For interest in an AAS degree in Health Information Technology, go to coleman.hccs.edu/hitt.